If I Were Mayor Contest
Who: All Kansas students enrolled in the 7th grade during the 2017 – 2018 school year.
What: Each student may submit one memo not to exceed 250 words. Memos must be typed.
When: Deadline is November 18, 2017
How: Memos will be evaluated based on: Understanding of city services, creativity, clarity, sincerity of thought, and proper grammar.
Why: Five regional winners receive a cash prize of $125. The sixth regional winner will represent the state of Kansas and receive a $250 cash prize. Winning memos will be published in the Kansas Government Journal. Winners and their teacher are invited to Topeka for a special ceremony with local leaders and state legislators on January 24, 2018.
In an effort to encourage youth engagement, the League reserves the right to republish the memos and pictures of each student to connect Kansas youth in their work.
To enter, download the memo template from www.lkm.org/MayorContest.
Please submit your entry following these instructions:
- When you download the template, you must FIRST click “Save as” –> PDF.
- Title the NEW document using the following format “[last name OR School name]_Memo”
- Click “Save” to complete. This creates a NEW file that is separate from the template you downloaded.
- Type your memo into this NEW Click Save again.
- Upload your NEW file (example: Morton_Memo)
Memos can be uploaded as single files or as zip files. Complete the form, upload your NEW File, and press “Send.”